Back to School is just around the corner and little ones will be getting back into their school routine soon. Our eldest is starting Grade 1 this year and we are all excited for school to start in just a few weeks.
Back to school is definitively bittersweet for me, I am excited for my boy to go back to school to spend time with his friends, learn new things and for me to have some extra free time in the mornings with just one child, but on the other hand I also miss having him home, going out with both kids and the freedom of not having a set schedule. The first few weeks back at school can be a bit crazy for both parents and children but if you prepare you can both adapt to the new schedules quickly, I believe it is all about creating a routine and sticking to the same schedule. Here are a few tips to make the transition a bit easier for all.
- Get the kids in bed early at night and up early in the mornings. To help the transition to the new schedule make sure the kids go to bed early and wake up at a good time in the mornings starting a few weeks before their return to school.
- Print FREE activity sheets online for the kids to work on at home to get back into the school spirit. Practice their writing, reading, numbers daily before school starts again.
- Limit TV and electronic use as kids get ready to start school again. Often parents are flexible with screen time during the summer break but limit screen time once school starts. Start transitioning to less screen time before school starts to get kids used to the school routine.
- Let them choose their favourite school snacks to make a plan of what they will be taking to school once school starts. We usually go to the store and ask our son to pick his favourite healthy options. That way, we know what he likes and what he will eat at school. The boys have been loving the iÖGO nanö nutritious snacks lately and that is one snack that is on my son’s list for back to school lunches. Super convenient to send to school and delicious! iÖGO nanö has also launched a new line of flavours that mix fruit with vegetables including apple-cherry & beet and peach & carrot.
- Go shopping for supplies with the kids and let them pick a fun item to get them excited about back to school. We usually go together and get a backpack or lunchbox that our son picks himself. He loves picking them himself and choosing his favourite characters.
Stay tuned for the upcoming #ReadySetNanö Contest beginning on September 6th for a chance to win 1 of 2 Back-to-School Prize Packs ($250 VISA + iÖGO vouchers). Entrants will be asked to tweet a photo of their first day of school to be eligible to win.
Back to School season is fun and shouldn’t be a stressful time for families. Do you have any other tips on making the transition easy and fun for the entire family? Share your own tips below!
Disclosure: Although this post has been generously sponsored by iÖGO, the opinions and language are my own.