With the beginning of flu season in Canada families everywhere are battling with colds and the flu.
Here are a few simple tips I put together to help you survive the cold & flu season. Prevention is the way to go!
1. Eat a Healthy Diet: Eating a balanced and healthy diet will keep your immune system working and ready to fight off infections. Eat dark leafy greens and lots of Vitamin C filled fruits like kiwi, apple, orange and strawberries.
Remember the old saying, “an apple a day keeps the Dr. away”? Well, it is true, healthy eating really makes a difference.
2. Wash Your Hands: Wash, wash and wash those hands. No need for antibacterial soap. Good old regular soap and lots of water, that’s all you need. Washing your hands and your little one’s hands frequently throughout the day is the best way to limit exposure to germs and potential colds and flu.
3. Get Enough Sleep: Lack of sleep is known for decreasing immune function and leaving you susceptible to catching colds and flus. If your child is starting to sleep through the night then be sure to turn the lights off at a reasonable time to get at least 8 hours of sleep. Your body needs the down time to get ready to fight infections. Same with your child, a stablished bed time routine will help them get the sleep they need.
4. Add Exercise to Your Daily Routine: Regular exercise is great for boosting your immune system and helping you stay healthy. Schedule at least 30 minutes of physical activity per day. It can be as simple as putting your child in a stroller or carrier and going for a walk together.
5. Get the Flu Shot: Get vaccinated! Did you know you can get your vaccination at your local Shoppers Drug Mart Pharmacy? We got ours for free this year and it took us only 10-15 minutes, with no appointment required!
Hope you and your family manage to stay healthy this season, remember it is all about eating well, frequent hand washing, getting enough rest, staying fit and boosting your immune system!
Win it: One lucky Canadian reader (excluding Quebec) will win a cold and flu prize package, valued at $150 (CAD). The pack includes the following:
- $100 Shoppers Drug Mart Gift Card
- Life Brand Vapourizing Colds Rub (57g)
- Life Brand Cough Drop SF Menthol
- Life Brand Elect Maint Powder Orange
- Life Brand Elect Maint Powder Apple Black Currant
- Life Brand Facial Pocket Pack (3 ply)
- Life Brand Hand Sanitizer
- Life Brand Vaporizer with 5 pads
- President’s Choice Soothed Tea – Peppermint, Ginger & Fennel
- President’s Choice Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup
Enter to WIN via Rafflecopter below. Good Luck Everyone!
Disclosure: I was compensated for this post, however all views and opinions expressed are my own.