I love making recipes with lots of vegetables in them. My boys are super picky, and getting them to eat vegetables is always a big goal for me when making dinners.
Enter this delicious and easy to make Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables Recipe.
This recipe is filled with vegetables, and my kids love it because it has pasta and cheese. Win-win for all!
I usually buy a marinara sauce jar, but you can make your own if you want.
For the butternut squash, I find it so hard to cut/peel, so I usually buy the frozen cubed butternut squash, put it in a microwave-safe dish, microwave for 2 minutes, and it is ready to roast.
You can also get creative with the veggies you use for this. You can pick your favourites.
The result is a delicious cheese, comfort food meal that the entire family will enjoy. Of course, my kids ask for seconds every single time!
Delicious Baked Penne with Roasted Veggies Recipe
- 2 zucchinis, quartered and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 red peppers, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1" cubes ( or 3 cups of thawed, frozen butternut squash cubes)
- 2 cups of sliced white mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1" pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (cut into chunks)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbs dried Italian herb mix
- 1 bag penne past
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 3 cups grated cheese mix (parmesan, mozzarella, cheddar)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Toss all the vegetables (zucchinis, peppers, squash, mushrooms, onion) with olive oil, 1tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and dried herbs. Lay on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 min or until soft.
- While the vegetables are roasting, boil salted water on a large pot over high heat. Add the penne pasta and cook for 6 minutes. Drain in a colander. ( The inside of the pasta should still be hard, as you will continue cooking it in the oven). Set aside.
- Transfer the drained penne pasta to a large bowl, and toss with the roasted vegetables, add the marinara sauce, peas, cheese, 1tsp salt, 1tsp pepper, 2 cups of cheese, and mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- Grease a 13 Inch x 9 Inch roast pan and pour the pasta mix into it. Top with the remaining cheese, and butter pieces.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until cheese is golden and fully melted.
The kids always ask for seconds of this meal, and I love that they get to enjoy a variety of vegetables in a delicious meal.
So easy to make and delicious!
I will love to know your thoughts if you end up making this. Share them in the comments below.