I love strawberries and this is one of my favourite desserts. The biscuits with the sweet and juicy strawberries and whipped cream are the perfect mix. Such a classic.
With strawberry shortcake, some people like a spongy cake and some like the biscuit better. I am a fan of the biscuit version and it is the only one we make.
The biscuits for this recipe are super easy to make, so don’t worry. They are made with ingredients you probably already have at home. Just make sure you have the juiciest, sweetest strawberries you can find!
Note: Don’t have any buttermilk? You can make some with vinegar. Pour 1 Tbs. of vinegar into a 1 cup measurer and then fill the rest of the measuring cup with milk. Then gently stir the mixture and let it sit for 5 – 8 minutes. If you don’t have vinegar, you can use lemon juice or cream of tarter.
Easy and Delicious Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1 lbs strawberries, washed, stemmed and sliced
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed/cold
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbs sugar (for strawberries)
- 1/4 cup of sugar (for biscuits)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream chilled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs sugar
You will also need
- Food processor
- Biscuit Cutter
- Parchment paper
- Electric Mixer with A Whisk Attachment
- Place strawberries inside a bowl, add sugar, mix well. Put in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- Turn oven on 400F.
- Use a food processor and stir in all dry ingredients. Pulse.
- Add cubed butter and pulse a few times, until butter breaks into smaller pieces.
- Get a bowl and mix egg, buttermilk and cream, set aside.
- Pour the liquid mixture on top of the dry mixture and pulse again, until the dough starts to form.
- Dump dough on top of a clean surface, make sure you sprinkle it with some flour beforehand.
- Pat dough down and roll less than 1". Use a biscuit cutter dipped in flour to cut the individual shortcakes out.
- Transferred individual cake to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the top with buttermilk.
- Put in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.
- Make the whipped cream: mix cream, vanilla and sugar together in a mixer using the whisk attachment, on high, until it thickens.
- To assemble cakes: Cut cakes in half, place whipped cream and strawberries on the bottom layer, add more whipped cream, place the other half of the cake on top and top it with more whipped cream and strawberries. ENJOY!