Getting a stroller for your new baby is a big, expensive purchase. With so many brands and models available, making the decision to pick one can be difficult for parents. I remember when I was looking for a stroller for my first son, I didn’t really know what I should be looking for and ended up buying something that was not a perfect fit for our family.
Below you will find a guide with some tips on what to look for when choosing your new stroller. Whether this is your first stroller or you are looking for a replacement or a new stroller that would be a better fit for you. I hope you find this article helpful.
- Safety: One of the most important factors to consider when looking for a stroller is, of course, safety. Be mindful of weight guidelines and ensure the stroller has an appropriate seat belt and harness. A five-point restraint with waist, crotch and shoulder straps provides the best safety. Something else that is very important is to always check that the brakes are easy to operate and you feel comfortable operating them. A tether strap for your wrist to prevent the stroller rolling away is also a nice option to look for offered in some strollers.
- Stroller’s Purpose: What do you plan on using your stroller for most often? Are you planning to go for regular long walks with baby or to go jogging with baby? If you are planning to run with baby then looking for a jogging stroller or a stroller with a running frame attachment would be a good idea. Look for a stroller that is suitable for all season terrain when planning to walk a lot during all seasons. If you are planning to go grocery shopping with baby and carry groceries or large bags then look for a stroller with a large storage basket.
- Car Seat Attachment Compatibility: A car seat adapter allows parents to attach a compatible car seat to a stroller, converting the stroller to a travel system that can be used for carrying newborns until they can be placed in the stroller seat safely. Always check that your stroller and car seat can be used with an adapter before making a selection and purchasing your stroller.
- Ability to add a sibling seat: Is this your first stroller? Are you planning on having more children? Check out models that have the ability to add additional seats to the frame that can be installed later when you need them. If this is not your first stroller or you will not be using the stroller for more children in the future then focus on other features that will be more useful for your family.
- Size/Weight: The size and weight of the stroller is something important to consider. If you will be traveling a lot with your stroller a light weight stroller is recommended, you can also always get a bigger more sturdy umbrella for everyday use and a lighter umbrella stroller for travel only. Remember to consider your unique circumstances when making a decision.
Our stroller at the moment is the Bugaboo Cameleon3. We have owned and tried many strollers for both our first and second child and the Bugaboo is a great fit for our family right now. We are loving this stroller’s versatility and all of its many great features. Stay tuned for a full post with the reasons why we love our Bugaboo Cameleon3 coming soon!
What features do you consider when looking for a new stroller?
I was gifted product from Bugaboo to try with my family, this is however not a paid post and all opinions and views on this post are 100% my own.
12 Comments on “5 Things To Consider When Choosing A Stroller”
Those are great to think about when considering a stroller, especially if you are investing in a good one,
These are some great things to think about–thanks for the info!
Great article! Back in the day a stroller was a stroller was a stroller, but not anymore lol I’m going to pass this on to my daughters, one who is expecting her first baby in the next couple of weeks! Thanks
I loved everything about my bugaboo stroller….worth every penny. Looking forward to your post!
thanks for the insight. It has been years since I needed (used) a stroller. With my daughter “trying”, I hope I will be shopping for one soon.
wow what a great stroller , thanks for the tips , i will be looking into this for my new Granddaughter that will be born this month 🙂
in my day there was just one type of small foldable stroller and some how we all survived 😛
Great tips! There’s so much to consider when getting a stroller.
This stroller is lovely. Looks safe and comfortable. Thanks for the tips!
The bugaboo stroller sounds amazing
Thank you for sharing this valuable content with us. I enjoyed the article a lot.