Summer is just around the corner and it’s a great time to talk about helpful tips for safe summer driving. Are you planning a family road trip this year? The following list put together by Hyundai’s technician Ted has all the info you need for a safe season on the road. Ted has been working on Hyundai vehicles for 30 years and has a wealth of knowledge on automotive safety to share:
1) Say hello to sunshine: Now that winter is over, it’s time to transition your vehicle into summer mode. To do this safely, be sure to:
- Change from winter to summer tires. Winter tires lose their grip and longevity as the temperature rises.
- Change your wiper blades if they are streaking and damaged from freezing in the winter.
- Brush-up on your owner’s manual! A “check engine” light can come on for hundreds of reasons, so it’s important to know what to do if it lights up.
- Check your fluid levels. Today’s engine compartment design makes it easy to check the minimum and maximum levels for most of your fluids.
- When washing, remember to spray underneath your vehicle to clean the corrosive salt from all the nooks and crannies.
2) Take time for your tires: Did you know that half of all breakdowns happen due to low tire pressure? The easiest thing to do is a circle check around your vehicle every time you go to drive your car. The front tires will naturally look softer than the rears, as they carry the most weight. Here are some helpful hints:
- Check your tire pressure once a month. Use the ideal tire pressure found on a label on the driver’s door jam and not the number on the tire itself. The one on the tire is its maximum rating, which could cause a harsh ride and uneven tire wear.
- Avoid overfilling your tires. Use a quality air pressure gauge to be certain.
- Under and over inflated tires increase fuel consumption, so keep them properly inflated for your wallet and your safety!
3) Do you know where your spare tire is? Surprisingly, many Canadians do not! Know where it is and how to access it. Other important safety tips include:
- You may need to use a custom wrench to release it from its mounting. Each vehicle is different so be sure to find out what type you need and how to use it.
- Spare tires lose air over time, so ensure your spare is properly inflated before embarking on any road trip. The ideal pressure is also on the driver’s door jam.
4) Adopt your very own vehicle safety checklist: Quality time on the road means mastering your vehicle safety checklist. Here is what should be on yours:
- Do a circle check before every trip and look at the tires. Apply tips above if needed.
- Make sure your lights are working. Be sure to check your headlights and tail lights.
- Get a full service vehicle check-up once a season.
- Ensure you know where your spare tire is and know how to change the tire yourself.
5) Pack smart for your road trip: In your vehicle you should always have:
- Air pressure gauge
- Booster cables
- Gloves for changing tires
- Safety cones
- Portable air compressor
- Tire wrench
To kick-start your safe summer driving, we are offering a giveaway for the ultimate road safety kit for your car including:
- Foam and FLC Lined Gloves
- Tire Fix Heavy Duty Pressure Gauge
- Marker Cones, 12-in, 4-pk
- Rain-X Summer Washer Fluid
- Prestone Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant
Enter to win via Rafflecopter below. Good Luck!
Disclosure: I am part of the Hyundai Drive Squad program, a program that offers the chance to test drive Hyundai vehicles, and provide vehicle tips and tricks for the road, as well as the inside scoop to some of Hyundai’s amazing initiatives. From cleaning, to safety, to fun activities, and giving back to the community.@HyundaiCanada #HyundaiDriveSquad
120 Comments on “Tips For a Safe and Happy Summer on The Road”
We are planning a road trip from Ontario to new Brunswick
We are! Going to a cabin in BC 🙂
We will jump in the car and head out. Where we venture I do not know. North, South, East or West?
We aren’t planning any huge road trips, but we are taking a few short ones up island
nothing planned yet
No plans this year, maybe next year?
No, we have not planned anything yet but hopefully we will go on a road trip.
We are planning on going on a road trip to the Oregon Coast this summer.
We are planning a road trip to Seattle and Oregon this summer.
We’ll be doing short road trips throughout Alberta. It’s beautiful in the summer.
We haven’t been on a road trip in years but I would love to go on one this summer!
We will be flying to the east coast and then road tripping around there. A first for us|!
No, not this year. No vacation time 🙂
I am planning a few road trips this summer – to visit friends and family!
We’re planning a few days visiting the Drumheller passion play this July.
Yes!! We will be driving from Alberta to Ontario then Quebec and back to Alberta!!
Yes. Our first trip is to Wawa, Ontario. First of many.
We plan to drive 200 miles north to visit my son and his family.
yes – to visit family
no road trips planned yet but we are going on a train trip next weekend to Alberta
Going to Wisconsin Dells
Yes I will be driving to visit family in my province.
We are planning a Road Trip to Nashville
Driving from Vancouver too Edmonton
To the East Coast…finally!
Yes, we are traveling from Ontario to New Brunswick this summer for a wedding!
Yes! Down to the states to do some shopping!
My family and I are going to Riding Mountain in July!
No road trips in mind yet.
Yes! Camping in Osoyoos, Kelowna & on the Shuswap Lake. Also going on a roadtrip to Vancouver
Planning a trip to the in-laws in Hudson Bay, SK.
Yes, we will go on a couple of roads trips to go camping this summer.
No long road trips planned yet, but we will probably have a few short ones
Probably going to drive up to Northern Ontario
Not at the moment but the possibility is there
Not to sure yet
We are going to Niagara at the end of June and to the Bruce Peninsula in August.
Yes, we always go to visit my mother in law up in the Kawarthas.
Planning on going from Niagara Falls to Quebec! Gonna be a looong drive.
I dont see any official road trips but I do know that we will be doing a lot of camping!
planning on driving to Taos and going camping.
Yes I will be picking up my daughter from Calgary and bringing her back to Vancouver for a 2 week visit at the end of August
Visiting the family cottage
No road trips planned just yet.
Yes we are planning to go to Maine and PEI
Yes, we are planning to head to both Jasper and Calgary this summer
Yep! possible to Vancouver, BC or Pennsylvania
Probably a small one to visit my parents.
Hopefully!! Fingers crossed!
yes we are planning a road trip,but not sure wheer too yet!
Yes but not too far – probably a maximum of 3 hours one way. 🙂
Yes, I am going to visit my family up North and spend some time at the cottage (7 hours away).
Not going anywhere far this year. Hubby is working out west 2 weeks there and 1 week back home so just some short trips to visit family.
yes a few to Muskoka this summer!
We’re driving all around Ontario this summer. Lots of little trips.
Yes, I will be traveling to sites in my home province.
I am hoping to go to Newfoundland.
A road trip across Ontario is planned/
We are planning mini road trips nothing over 4 hours away but its always good to be prepared
hopefully a trip across the US
I will be heading across the province a few times over the summer. Hubby and the kids are going an a boys only trip.
We are planning a road trip to the Olympic Peninsula.
We are planning on taking a road trip to Halifax, Canada!
Yes, we usually go to Ottawa for a week every year to visit family and friends.
Yes! A drive down the Oregon coast (from Vancouver). 🙂
We’re going camping in Quebec.
not sure yet
Road trip to Camping!
No huge road trips. Maybe a trip to the island and the Okanagan.
Yes, We are heading to Mt. Rushmore this year.
What a great giveaway to give to a loved one. Planning a few trips this summer to spend with family.
Not planning any summer road trips but maybe now I will.
Planning a trip to BC
Yes. We go away about once a month. A great tine to travel and visit friends and family. And explore as well!
we’re making plans to go to Ontario or Quebec!
We have a few camping trips planned!
No plans yet
We’re headed to the area my husband grew up in as soon as school is done for the year. (3 more weeks!!) It’s a place on Vancouver Island so we get to do a ferry ride too.
We are planning on driving from BC to ON!
yes we are going camping
yes, to l.a.
not sure yet but we are hoping to do something with our boys this summer
Yes to Niagara Falls.
planning a trip north to visit a friends cottage
Not at this moment
Yes, we are planning a summer road trip to either Sauble Beach or the Muskoka region!
We will be taking a road trip to Kingston, Ontario in July.
Our summer road trips are 3 hour drives through cottage country to visit family.
Rain X is a must – especially on a rainy highway.
Just we will be travelling this summer. Family visits and also a wedding
It is still in the works but possibly!
Foam and FLC Lined Gloves. thanks
a short weekend trip to Seattle later on in the summer
We are driving out to Nova Scotia for a wedding, and then driving to Vermont for a week long vacation with the family! I can’t wait!
Yes, we are planning a road trip this summer.
Oliver for Fathers Day and maybe Seattle and Vancouver
Just small trips all within a hr or 2 from home.
we will just do daytrips and camping this year.
We are planning a road trip to montreal in august
No plans for a road trip..yet!
Yes road trip with my son, taking him camping!
yes we are planning a road trip, but not a long one, due to kids that can’t sit still lol
No major roadtrips planned for this summer, we are busy preparing for baby #4 we will however be doing many trips in and around the GTA
My husband is heading to the States to climb Mt. Washington. We’ll also be visiting family in Toronto and camping at Charleston Lake.
We are planning on going to see my parents. Not totally sure yet.
With 2 young children, roadtrips would be most economical and flexible. We are hoping to do some camping in Montana/Waterton
Yes. Niagara Falls & Crystal Beach to see family.
I’m planning a summer road trip at the end of the summer with a bunch of friends. We’re heading up north for some camping. It should a lot of fun!
We are taking the kids for a 10 day trip to Yellowstone in August!
coriwestphal at msn dot com
We are wanting to take a few trips around Ontario this summer.
Touring northern sask
We are planning to go to Seattle for a weekend soon!
going to Calgary!
In December 2012, she was half way through her reconstructive procedure
and has since become a symbol of hope for women suppressed by the
Taliban, urging women to “never give up and don’t lose hope,” that “what happened, it’s part of me, part of my life and its all the time in my mind and with me. I have never personally had any plastic surgery done but there are obvious downsides to plastic surgery such as downtime, pain, and possible side effects. With an type of plastic surgery, there will be a recovery process.