Britax is a brand that has been a leader in mobile safety for over 70 years, they are one of the most trusted brands by parents and caregiveres around the world and their products undergo some of the most rigorous testing in the industry.
We had the opportunity to receive a Britax Advocate 65-G3 Car Seat for review a few weeks ago. The Advocate 65-G3 is a Convertible Car Seat that accommodates children rear facing 2.3 to 18.3 kg (5 to 40 pounds) and forward facing from 10 to 29.5 kg (22 to 65 pounds). This car seat features HUGS Chest Pads with SafeCell Technology, an EZ-Buckle system to keep the buckle out of the way when boarding, a Click & Safe indicator that ensures the harness is properly snug and more.
What you get in the box:
Advocate 65-G3 Convertible Car Seat, removable cover, comfort pads, infant body pillow, and user guide.
- True Side Impact Protection is deep side walls with energy-absorbing EPP foam along with a head restraint which offers a double layer of EPP foam to distribute crash forces, shield from vehicle intrusion, and contain the head, neck and body while keeping them “in true” or aligned
- Integrated Steel Bars strengthen the connection to the vehicle and reduce forward flexing of the child seat during a crash
- Base with SafeCell Technology features SafeCells designed to compress in a crash, significantly lowering the center of gravity and counteracting the forward rotation of the child seat which normally propels the child toward the front seat
- Energy-Absorbing Versa-Tether features a staged-release tether webbing to slow the forward movement, reducing the crash forces reaching the child, and a two-point attachment to minimize forward rotation while anchoring the top of the child seat
- Side Impact Cushion Technology features energy-absorbing cushions on the exterior of the child seat to reduce side impact crash energy by 45% by diverting crash forces away from your child and providing extra protection for the adjacent passenger.
- Click & Safe® Snug Harness Indicator is an audible aid that provides extra assurance when the harness is within range of appropriate snugness
- Tangle-Free, Five-Point Harness distributes crash forces across the strongest parts of the body and provides a secure fit
- 65 lb (29.5 kg) Weight Capacity for safety and comfort as your child grows
- Rear and Forward Facing Recline for child comfort and positioning
- High Density Comfort Foam provides an extra layer of padding to gently cushion your child
- Plush, Easy-Remove Cover with matching comfort pads and Infant body pillow to provide extra comfort and easy cleaning without disassembling or uninstalling the child seat
- Two Buckle Positions for your growing child
- Infant Positioning Insert may be necessary for small infants to achieve a snug fit of the harness around your child (sold separately)
- Quick-Adjust, No-Rethread Harness repositions the harness shoulder height without disassembling the harness straps
- Premium LUAS Connectors for a quick and simple installation featuring a push button for easy release
- Built-in Lock-Offs ensure a snug lap and shoulder belt installation with minimal effort
- Anti-Slip, Contoured Base grips and protects the vehicle seat while offering optimum vehicle fit
- Harness Holders keep harness straps pulled to the sides when placing your child in the car seat
- Certified for Aircraft Travel
Installing the car seat took me less than 10 minutes both for rear-facing and forward-facing (after reading through the easy to follow manual).
Their LATCH connectors make installation quick and simple and I like the easy to push button that allows you to uninstall the car seat easily as well. If using the vehicle lap and shoulder belt the built-in-lock-offs allow for an easy to access and secure installation too. Something I noticed is that you can actually remove the cover of the seat without having to uninstalling the car seat, that’s a big plus!
Our almost 3-year-old was very comfortable and happy rear-facing in the Advocate 64-G3.
No-Rethread Harness System and EZ-Buckle System:
I really love that the Advocate 65-G3 features a tangle-free, five point harness that can be adjusted without having to remove the car seat from the vehicle. I really like not having to deal with tangled straps every time I get my son in his car seat. I also love their EZ-Buckle system that maintains the harness buckle in the forward position to prevent your little one from sitting on it when they first enter the seat. Such a useful feature!
The Advocate 65-G3 is definitively bulkier and heavier than other convertible car seats in the market, but that’s because of the additional safety features that aren’t found in other car seats. This car seat offers both Side Impact Cushion Technology and True Side Impact Protection for complete protection. Side Impact Cushion Technology, comprised of energy-absorbing cushions on both sides of the exterior of the seat, compress upon impact to divert 45% of the crash energy away from your child while providing protection for the adjacent passenger.
The True Side Impact Protection system guards your child’s head and limits injury by shielding from vehicle intrusion and absorbing crash energy. The car seat has deep sidewalls lined with energy-absorbing EPP foam. This combination diverts crash force energy away from your child while creating a barrier against possible intruding objects. The head restraint offers a double layer of energy-absorbing foam and keeps your child’s neck and spine properly aligned in the seat.
Another safety feature that I really appreciate from the Advocate 65-G3 is the Click & Safe Snug Harness Indicator. The audible click provided when you are tightening the harness indicates when it’s in the range of appropriate snugness, ensuring that your child is secured and properly snug in the seat.
We received the Onyx cover to review and there are four other fabric options available, including a very cool and modern Zebra fabric.
The Advocate 65-G3 Car Seat is definitively loaded with safety features. Even though this seat takes up quite a bit of space on the backseats when rear-facing because of the side impact cushions I feel like my son is really protected and secure when we go for a drive and I really like that.
I found the installation process was simple and user-friendly and the twist-free, 5-point harness along with the Click & Safe Snug Harness Indicator are my favourite features. I also find that my son is very comfortable in the Advocate 65-G3 and usually ends up napping when we go for long car rides.
The BRITAX Advocate 65-G3 Convertible Car Seat is available for MSRP (CAD) $399.99, more details HERE.
Disclosure: I received a sample of a product to facilitate this post. All views and opinions stated on this post are 100% my own.
3 Comments on “Britax: Advocate 65-G3 Convertible Car Seat Review”
Great review, we love our Britax! Best car seat!
Really informative review! I’m going to recommend this to one of my daughters.
Thanks for the review! I will forward this to my friend who is researching car seats for her new baby!