The arrival of fall not only brings cooler weather but also the need for a wardrobe transition for your little ones. As the temperatures drop and leaves change colours, it’s time to bid farewell to the summer shorts and swimsuits and prepare for the cozy season ahead.
If it were up to my boys, they would continue wearing shorts and short-sleeved shirts all winter, so I help them organize their wardrobes and prepare for a smooth transition.
This guide will walk you through some easy steps to organize and update your child’s wardrobe seamlessly, complete with layering tips to keep them comfortable and stylish throughout the fall.
Step 1: The Wardrobe Assessment
Before you add new pieces to your child’s closet, assessing their current wardrobe is essential. I suggest doing this on a weekend so you don’t have to rush to get it done.
Here’s what you should do:
- Empty the Closet: Remove all summer-specific clothing items like tank tops, shorts, and sandals. Sort them into piles for storage or donation. We have bins for summer/ winter clothes storage.
- Check for Size: Ensure your child’s fall clothes from last year still fit. Most of ours did not, as the kids are growing so fast! If not, set them aside for donation or hand them down to younger siblings.
- Inspect the Condition: Examine each clothing item for wear and tear. Repair or discard anything that’s damaged beyond repair. A must when you have active children and rips and tears appear all the time!
Step 2: Make a Shopping List
Make a shopping list now that you know what your child needs for the fall season. Consider these essential items:
- Long-Sleeved Shirts: Opt for versatile, neutral colours that can be easily mixed and matched.
- Jeans and Pants: Choose comfortable and warm options for cooler days.
- Layering Pieces: Sweaters, cardigans, and lightweight jackets are perfect for layering as the weather fluctuates.
- Footwear: Swap sandals for closed-toe shoes or boots to keep their feet warm and dry.
- Accessories: Don’t forget hats, scarves, and gloves to keep your child cozy when temperatures drop.
NOTE: Get input from your child and ensure you understand the styles and items they want to wear. Especially important with older children.
Step 3: Shop Smart
When shopping for your child’s fall wardrobe, consider these tips:
- Buy for Growth: While finding items that fit well now is essential, keep in mind that kids grow quickly. Find slightly roomier clothing to allow for growth throughout the season.
- Quality over Quantity: Invest in a few high-quality pieces that can withstand wear and tear. You’ll save money in the long run.
- Mix and Match: Choose versatile pieces that can be mixed and matched to create various outfits.
Step 4: Organize the Wardrobe
Once you’ve gathered the fall wardrobe essentials, it’s time to organize your child’s closet:
- Seasonal Sorting: Place the fall clothing in an easily accessible closet section—store summer clothing in bins or vacuum-sealed bags for later use. Make sure everything you are storing is freshly laundered and clean.
- Colour Coding: Organize clothes by colour to make it easy for your child to pick out their outfits, or skip if their closet is usually messy but they know where to find what they are looking for!
Step 5: Layering Tips for Fall
Layering is essential to keeping your child comfortable in fluctuating fall temperatures. Here are some layering tips:
- Base Layer: Start with a lightweight, moisture-wicking base layer to keep your child dry.
- Insulation Layer: Add a warmer layer like a sweater or fleece to trap heat.
- Outer Layer: Finish with a waterproof or wind-resistant outer layer, such as a jacket or raincoat.
- Accessories: Don’t forget to layer accessories like scarves and hats for added warmth.
Transitioning your child’s wardrobe from summer to fall doesn’t have to be a daunting task. It may be enjoyable and a bonding experience if you do it together.
With some organization and careful shopping, you can ensure your little ones are prepared for the changing seasons. Plus, by incorporating layering into their fall fashion, your children will stay comfortable and stylish no matter the weather.
Now, let’s hope they choose to wear the things you bought, and prepared, and that they stay warm during the colder months!