We recently received a couple of LEGO sets for the boys to build and we couldn’t have been more excited. If you know our boys then you know how much they both love their LEGO. They spend hours each week playing with LEGO and we appreciate that construction toys help foster creativity and other important skills.
We got the Volcano Exploration Base set for our eldest who just turned 6 year-old and he was really excited to build it. Just a few weeks ago he came back from school to tell me all about volcanos as they had a class about them so the set was just perfect for him and his interests.
The set had 8 bags and he built the first 5 bags when he came home from school before dinner and a couple more after dinner, for the last bag with the volcano I helped him a bit but I was impressed that he needed minimum help and he built this entire set mostly on his own.
Since building the set he has been playing with it daily. He loves playing with the volcano and opening the lava rocks that come out when the volcano “erupts”. Below is a little video he asked me to film of him showing all the features of the set he proudly built.
As you can see in the photos and video he is having lots of fun with the Volcano Exploration Base LEGO set and there are a lot of little details and pieces to play with. This is a pretty fun and substantial play set.
- Includes 6 minifigures: a female scientist, scientist with heatsuit, female worker, male worker and 2 adventurers.
- Features a mobile operations center, excavator, wheeled dumper, drone, boulder rack and a volcano with an eruption function.
- Mobile operations center features a detachable truck cab with space in the back to carry a boulder, rolling wheels and a side that opens to reveal the operations center.
- Excavator features an extendable hammer arm.
- Wheeled dumper features rolling wheels and a handle.
- Drone features spinning rotors.
- Use the lever to trigger the volcano eruption.
- Set the boulders in the boulder rack and use the excavator to crack them open and retrieve the crystals.
- Accessory elements include 4 boulders, 4 crystal elements, shovel, pickaxe, walkie-talkie, camera, crowbar, drill and a metal detector.
- Headgear accessory elements include 3 hard hats, baseball cap, adventurer’s hat and a heatsuit helmet.
- Volcano measures over 5” (13cm) high, 6” (17cm) wide and 6” (17cm) deep.
- Boulder rack measures over 2” (6cm) wide, 2” (6cm) deep and under 1” (2cm) high.
- Mobile operations center with truck measures over 4” (12cm) high, 12” (31cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide.
- Excavator measures over 5” (14cm) high, 6” (17cm) long and 3” (10cm) wide.
- Wheeled dumper measures over 1” (4cm) high, 2” (7cm) long and 1” (5cm) wide.
- Drone measures over 2” (6cm) long, 3” (10cm) wide and under 1” (2cm) high.
- ($149.99 CDN)
For our youngest we received the LEGO DUPLO Arctic set. He was super excited when he saw it and asked to open it immediately. He absolutely loves this set, he loves role playing and imaginative play so he spends hours playing with the little animals and creating play stories. His favourite piece is the whale and the fact that you can open and close its mouth and he also loves the little igloo where he can play with the figures. The dog sled and kayak are a couple of other top picks for him.
I appreciate that LEGO DUPLO sets are perfect for his age range as all pieces are safe and nothing is too small or a chocking hazard.
- Includes 2 LEGO DUPLO figures: a dad and child, plus a whale with opening mouth, polar bear and a husky dog.
- Features a buildable igloo with opening door and stove, and an ice block.
- Accessory elements include a dog sled, kayak, fishing rod, fish, cooking pot and a basket.
- Includes bricks decorated as ice, a lantern and crayfish as story starters.
- Explore the frozen Arctic and its amazing wildlife by kayak and dog sled.
- Build the igloo to develop basic construction skills.
- LEGO DUPLO products are safe and specially designed to be fun and easy for little hands.
- Igloo on plate measures over 4” (12cm) high, 7” (19cm) wide and 4” (11cm) deep.
- Combine with 10801 Baby Animals, 10802 Savanna, 10804 Jungle or 10805 Around the World for more animal fun.
- ($39.99 CDN)
Both of the boys have been having hours of fun with their new LEGO sets. These two sets would make great additions to any LEGO lover’s collections and/or perfect birthday or Christmas gifts for little ones.
Disclosure: This is a partnered post with LEGO. A product sample and/or compensation has been received for this review and all opinions and views on this post are 100% my own.