Did you know that poor oral health can lead to gum disease, which left untreated can lead to the loss of teeth and it may even contribute to heart disease? April is National Oral Health Care month and the perfect reminder to pay special attention to our teeth and our overall oral hygiene, which can have a tremendous impact on our health.
Below you’ll find some tips to help get you started on the path towards a brighter, whiter, healthier smile for the entire family.
For the little ones
- Brush your own teeth while your kids watch and talk about the importance of taking care of their teeth and gums. They often learn by watching how adults take care of their own teeth.
- Give your kiddos a bonus for brushing. A sticker chart that keeps track of their brushing habits is a great way to give them an incentive to brush.
- Suggest using a timer or a song to ensure that the little ones are brushing for as long as they’re supposed to. You can even make it a fun family activity by doing it all together.
- Introduce a toothpaste and brush that features one of your kid’s favourite characters – such as the Orajel™ Spiderman™ and My Little Pony™ Anticavity Fluoride Toothpaste and the Kids Spinbrush™ My Little Pony™ Battery Toothbrush. It keeps things exciting while practicing healthy habits! The boys love seeing their favourite characters in their toothbrushes.
- If you can’t resist desserts and candy, like me, pay attention! Foods that contains a lot of sugar can stain your teeth and soften tooth enamel. The Arm & Hammer™ Truly Radiant™ Clean & Fresh™ Toothpaste provides enamel safe whitening and lasting freshness plus it prevents tartar build up.
- Make sure you’re brushing and flossing at least twice a day to achieve optimal oral health.
- How often do you replace your toothbrush? The Canadian Dental Association recommends replacing your toothbrush or toothbrush head every three months or sooner if it becomes worn, for an optimal clean.
- Use a battery-powered toothbrush with sonic pulsating action. For example, the new Arm & Hammer™ Sonic Pulse Battery Toothbrush is clinically proven to remove 2X more plaque versus a manual toothbrush. This toothbrush has a slim, ergonomic handle, and comes with a replaceable head and battery!
How are you practicing good oral health habits at home? Share your own tips below!