This comforting dish is always a crowd-pleaser, including the kids—the spicy chili marinated strips of chicken pair beautifully with the buttery shitake mushrooms and squash. The fish sauce helps pull the flavours together and make the dish pop.
So easy to make, too, enjoy!
- 4 Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) Thai Kitchen Spicy Thai Chili Sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Canola Oil
- 3 medium shallots, sliced thin
- 2 cups (500 mL) Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 175 g (6 oz) peeled and diced butternut squash
- 115 g (4 oz) shiitake mushrooms quartered
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Thai Kitchen Premium Fish Sauce
1. Cut each chicken breast into 6 diagonal slices (with the grain). Put into a bowl with the Spicy Thai chili sauce and marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 24.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the chicken slices, stir-frying them for two minutes. Add the shallot slices and stir-fry for 1 or 2 minutes more.
3. Add the chicken or vegetable stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the diced squash and quartered mushrooms, cover the pan, and continue cooking for 5 minutes at a gentle simmer.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and uncover. Add the fish sauce, adding more if seasoning requires adjusting. Garnish with fresh cilantro, lime and serve with jasmine rice.