With summer in full swing, Canadians across the country are heading to their backyards for one thing – barbecue!
This season add some variety to your menu: surprise your family and dinner guests with grilled egg dishes. Eggs are healthy, locally produced, and affordable. Plus, you likely already have a dozen in your fridge, so no last-minute runs to the grocery store.
Egg Farmers of Canada has come up with some easy and delicious grilled egg recipes. We had their Grilled Eggs in Sweet Peppers yesterday and everyone is my family loved them, so delicious! Check out the full recipe below!
- 4 medium sweet peppers (any colour), about 3-1/2 to 4 inches (9 to 10 cm) tall, with stems
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded medium Cheddar cheese
- 4 tsp (20 mL) chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
• Preheat the grill to medium heat (about 350°F/180°C).
• Cut 1/2 inch (1 cm) off the stem end of each pepper. Remove seeds from top slices and seeds and membranes from bottom portion of each pepper.
• For each pepper, whisk two eggs, 1 tbsp (15 mL) cheese and 1 tsp (5 mL) parsley. Pour mixture into pepper. Sprinkle 1 tbsp (15 mL) cheese over top. Place top back on pepper.
• Carefully place peppers on the grill. Close the lid and cook until peppers are tender and egg mixture is set and slightly puffed, 25 to 30 minutes.
• Choose plump peppers with a square shape. They should sit level.
• Vary the type of cheese: try Swiss, Tex-Mex blend, feta or Parmesan.
• Add diced ham to the egg mixture.
Nutrients per serving:
Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 229 mg
Carbohydrate 12 g
Fibre 3 g
Sugar 7 g
Protein 17 g
Looking for more easy and delicious recipes and kitchen tips? Click here.