Today I am sharing an easy DIY to create your own Calming Jar, using simple tools including your Cricut Joy and some Permanent Smart Vinyl. Making and using a Calming Jar is a wonderful Mental Health Activity for children and adults. Calming Jars are used to help you practice breathing and mindfulness when you are feeling upset, anxious or sad.
I used a Calming Jar in the past when my boys were toddlers and they were learning to deal with lots of new emotions. We decided to make one again and this time we made it together. Now we get to use the Calming Jar as a tool when either one of us is working through any strong emotions.
DIY Calming Jar, Mental Health Activity for Kids
Find all the instructions to make your own Calming Jar below.
We had so much fun making our Jar!
- Open the Cricut Design Space app and start a new project.
- Select TEXT, pick your favourite font, and write the text you want to see in the front of your Calming Jar. Adjust the size to fit the Jar.
- Turn on your Cricut machine and feed the Smart Vinyl into the machine.
- Follow the instructions and wait for the cut to finish.
- Weed the design using the weeder tool. My design was a bit difficult (lots of small letters) so it took a bit longer than usual. Pick an easier design if you are a beginner.
- When you are done weeding, messure and cut a strip of Transfer Tape, remove the liner and press it over the design. Rub the tape over the design so it sticks completely with your Scraper tool.
- Peel the design slowly, then burnish onto the glass jar.
- Peel the transfer tape slowly and carefully. If part of the design sticks to the transfer tape, burnish and try peeling again.
- Once the design is on the jar, you can start filling the jar with 2 cups of distilled water. We are using distilled water to avoid it getting mouldy.
- After that pour the cup of clear glue into the jar.
- Drop a couple of drops of food colouring into the jar.
- Add some confetti sparkles and sparkles to the jar.
- Continue filling the rest of the jar with more distilled water.
- Finish by sealing the jar with super glue or use a glue gun to secure it.
- Your jar is ready to shake!
Then to get weeding after the cut:
Transferring the design onto the Transfer Tape:
Transfering the vinyl to the jar now:
Now to fill the jar:
So much fun! The boys are loving this!
Disclosure: This is a paid partnership with Cricut. However, all opinions and views on this post are 100% my own.