I love chocolate as much as the next person (ok maybe more) but I think when we’re talking enjoyment, moderation is key.
Have I lost you?
Don’t click that browser button yet.
I think you can enjoy chocolate even more without the sugar crash!
- Get the good dark stuff. It’s worth it: you’ll be more satisfied with less and it’s packed with flavonoids. Shoot for 70%+ or more cocoa. The closer you can get to a natural food the better.
- Enjoy it. Don’t mindlessly scarf handfuls of Purdy’s right out of the box while reading People magazine and watching The Bachelor. Sit down and enjoy every bite. Ten chocolates taste no better than one chocolate.
- Eat it straight up. You’d be surprised by how much chocolate you consume when it’s covering fruit. I say, just eat the fruit alone and then eat chocolate unfiltered.
- Don’t bring it into your kitchen if you don’t want to eat it. Gifted a Costco sized box of high-fructose-corn-syrup flavored wax? Bring it into the office and not into your cupboard. Even the garbage is a better place for it than your tummy.
- Modeling moderation and enjoyment of food is important for our kids in developing their own healthy approach to eating. Food is not just about physical health, but a big part of culture and enjoyment in life. There are no guilt foods. As my daughter says, “Chocolate is yummy. Too much chocolate is yucky.”